Saturday, July 23, 2011

Date Night in the PICU

Friday night is usually date night for most, or at least the night to take a break from work and socialize a little bit. Last Friday I had plans with with one of my coworkers. Right about the end of the day one of our patients was in the PICU. Things took a turn for the worse and both of us ended up staying with the family. The ICU is never the place you want to be and after a long night of ups and downs the patient finally passed away.
This was a new experience for me and one that I am sure will happen again. This was my first patient who I had spent time with and talked with who passed away. I have prepared myself for this and knew it was part of the job. Though sometimes it is hard not being able to talk about what's going on a work. This is where the Lord blessed my life with a little thing that meant so much to me.
After leaving work, my coworker and I went home and just sat on the couch and ate a little dinner. It was not what we had planned on doing that night or what we had expected to eat for dinner but it was just what I needed and what he needed too. It was nice to have someone around who understood what we were going through. He has had more experience with patients and how to deal with losing one. We talked about death and we talked about life and how grateful we are to have every precious breath we breathe. I am so grateful I had him that night to talk to and find comfort in. I know the Lord is aware of us and our need and He sends people to be in our lives at the moments we need it most.
I was lucky my date was with my coworker and there was no need to break plans with someone. Though, I do hope that is my last date in the PICU.

No comments:

Post a Comment