Today's the day and I'm on my way! I turned 21 this week and have been reflecting back on what direction my life is going. I've wondered where 21 years went. Yes there are a few that I just can't remember only for the reason that is was 19 years ago. I do have a few memories from being three but not too many. Overall, I don't think I've gone too far astray. I reflected and thought about how fast life has actually gone. There is one reoccurring strand in my life that started at day -1. I know I don't have any recollection of this night but it sure is a story that is told often and I am grateful. It was a Friday night when my parents decided it was time to head to the hospital to bring their very first baby girl into this world. It was the picturesque dark and stormy night. As they were headed up the canyon my parents saw a hitchhiker. She was out in the rain and needed to get to work or she would lose her job. My parents had sympathy on her and gave her a ride to work. This single act alone has been brought to my mind countless times. Sometimes I think that I must not have been that important if I could wait while they took a girl to work but then I think about the great love that my parents had for a stranger and how I'm sure they were thinking that years ago that girls parents were on their way to the hospital to have her. After a chastised myself for being selfish I think that maybe I cared for her too because I was patient enough to wait a little bit longer to come so we could get her to work. From that day service has been a part of my very being. I couldn't imagine a better way to spend my 21st birthday than doing. Most people for their 21st birthday do a little more crazy things that they can do now that they are 21 but I thought about where I wanted my life to go and I decided today was the day and I'm on my way to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ. I want to be worthy in his sight so when He needs someone to do His work I can be there ready and willing. There were so many things that I did that if I wasn't actively looking for things to do that I could serve people I would have never seen that opportunity to serve.
As I've reflected on these 21 years and how fast they have gone by I realized that each one of us should live for each day. Never put things off until you have more time to do them because that day will never come. We need to make time for those things that are important to us and to our future. Live everyday with no regret. Be the best you can each day and strive to be even better tomorrow. The Lord understands and we are doing better than we think we are. But we need to be doing better.
No comments:
Post a Comment