Tuesday, November 16, 2010

General Authorities and Football!

Last weekend I had the opportunity to sit in the President's box for the BYU football game. President Samuelson, the President of BYU invited the Service Council and luckily I was able to pass the security clearance and was able to go. Not only do you have an amazing view of the field in the president's box and get fed food the ENTIRE time you are there and you are protected from the elements you also get to sit with other people to sit in the presidents box. Other people who is there are: Vice presidents of BYU senators, and...General Authorities! People who truly have dedicated everything they have to be an instrument for the Lord. Our greatest living examples of living Christlike lives. Those who are called my the Lord who are prophets, seers, and revelators to pass on messages from the Lord to us in this day. I had the opportunity to sit and watch a football game with them! I couldn't imagine a better or safer place to be!
During halftime we had the opportunity to meet and talk with Elder Bednar. He is a very sharp man. He is so kind and loving and loves his wife very much. He asked each of us where we were from and really cared to get to know each of us. He even remembered that he had been to Nyssa and spoken at our Stake Conference, even though he forgot what he spoke on I still think about his talk and being a modern day pioneer. One thing that I thought was a fun fact was he had the new iphone. He's very up to date with technology. He even told us a secret! Though it was only a secret that was to be kept for a few days it still was cool to be in on the workings of the twelve.

Elder Perry was also there. Now if you see him on TV he looks like any other old man but when you meet him in person you realize he HUGE!! He's 6'4" and just a big man! He is so happy and enjoyed meeting all of us. During halftime while I was talking to him he asked us why we were being so quite at a football game. I explained to him that we were told that we had to behave ourselves and we were trying out best. He informed us that it was a football game and he wanted to hear a little more cheering from us! So of course we were happy to obey! For that last bit of the game I got to sit next him and just sit and chat. I truly love getting to know them as individuals and feel the love they have. I also loved to see them in a more relaxed setting. Of course they were still in suits (they don't even go to the grocery store without a suit on) but it was good just to spend time a feel of the great spirits.

The most special moment of the whole day was when Elder Perry as we were talking to him said, "I just love your spirits, you all have such a great spirit about you." It was really touching and it made me think about all the things going on in my life and really if nothing else matters I want to have a life and spirit pleasing unto the Lord. I love my Savior and am grateful for the opportunity I had to be in the presence of those closest to Him on this earth. I can't wait until Women's Conference in the Spring when I will have this opportunity again!

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet memory this will be to share with your kids someday! Thats wonderful! What a neat experience!!!

    ReplyDelete