Friday, May 13, 2011

Welcome to Washington D.C.

I just finished my first week being in Washington D.C.. It is amazing out here, I love it! My flight was great and I made a few friends along the way. Dad dropped me off at the airport and I went to check my bag. Unfortunately, I am a better packer than I thought. I figured if I could fit it in my suitcase then it must be under the weight requirement. I was sadly mistaking and my bag was 21 pounds overweight. I quickly called my dad just in case I had to throw some clothes back into the car. I found an inexpensive suitcase that seemed to have enough room to fit an extra twenty pounds in. The lady at the store was nice enough to help me about a bit and she said that it's pretty common for people to pack big suitcases and be about 21 pounds over. (50 pounds is the limit.) I made it, barely and was headed through security. Because I had things packed so well and there were lots of little jewelery boxes and things they had so search my carry on. So we went though that and finally made it to my gate. There was a lady there who I stood next to through security and asked where I was going and was interested in what I was doing. About a minute after I sat down she came over and asked me if I could tell her more about what I was doing. I did and she gave me her card and said she takes people to South Africa and she would love for me to come with her. I am looking more in to it and we will see if the opportunity arises. Then when I was on the plane there was a gentleman in front of me that was making the same connection as I was. We decided we'd go together. He ended up being the press secretary for an Idaho congressmen, Phil Hardy. We made it to our next gate and watched each other's stuff while we got something to eat. He even offered to give me a private tour of the Capitol. He told me who to ask for and what to do. We were watching the basketball game on TV when they started to board, I looked at the flight and realized that game was going to Pittsburgh. We surely did not want to be going to Pittsburgh! We got help and found out where our flight had been reassigned to, don't worry it was all the way down the corridor. When we finally got there, everyone had boarded and we were just hoping they had not closed the gate yet. Luckily they hadn't and we made it on. I was only a few hours away from my new summer home, Washington D.C.! It's not a very good picture but here is my first view of the city.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome!! Please call me if you ever need anything! My number is 703-347-2906 or if you are by the White House sometime, I work right next door at 1701 Penn Ave. just drop by and come say "Hi" you will have lots of fun out here! Keep in touch!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to D.C. It's great to have you staying with us:)

    ReplyDelete