Friday, June 3, 2011

My missionary work

Missions are wonderful! And missionaries are wonderful! I live down the hall from the missionaries in my building and I love to see them. I think it would be an incredible experience to be a full time missionary and dedicate every minute of my life to serving the Lord. I could not think of anything better! However, the Lord and I have talked about it and a mission is not where I need to be right now. I see now very clearly why I am not on a mission and I'm sure I will see more to come. Though I do have this great desire to serve and share the light of the Savior that I have with other people. I pray every day hoping that I can at least be a spark or a memory of something that was good and one day someone because they knew me will want to know more. At work you can't really talk about religion but it is different when we are dealing with death every day and what that holds. I'm not afraid of death or dying and maybe that is one reason I can do the job that I do. As a recreational therapist part of our holistic healing includes spirituality. Not necessarily Christianity but being in tune. This has been a great learning experience for me. I am sure this sounds terrible but I look forward to the day when I talk with a grieving family and I hope that I can inspire them to have faith and the find strength in that faith.
I met a boy out here who is investigating the church. It was at an activity put on my someone in the ward and as our mutual friend and I chatted with him he got nervous and asked her if he should tell me. Well I guess he was nervous because he in not a member of the church and wanted to make sure I knew that first. I thought it was something like he was 40 years old or something. So when he told me this and it didn't matter and I could still talk to him and be his friend he relaxed. We've chatted a few times since but on Tuesday night he asked me if I would sit in with him and the missionaries in his next discussion with them. I have never been close enough to anyone who was investigating the church to sit in on a discussion with the missionaries. So when he asked me to participate I was flattered that he would ask me to join him. Our meeting is tonight and I am so excited! And a little bit nervous. I have an extra special prayer in my heart today that I may be prompted and have the courage to say the things that testify of the truthfulness of this gospel. Today I am grateful to be an instrument in the Lord's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment