Friday, May 6, 2011

The Best Friend

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

"Best friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway."

"A true friend is one who thinks you are a good egg even if you are half cracked."

"We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun."

None of these quotes can quite describe the bond we have. For we are best friends and will always be. Our friendship began last summer. Little did this girl know that all summer she was going through a rigorous interview to see if she met the qualifications the qualifications to be my roommate and since then we have had nothing but wonderful memories. When I finally gained enough courage to ask her I sent her a text saying, "I have a very serious question to ask you." She responded with, "I will do my best to give you a very serious answer." I asked her if she would like to move in with us in a few weeks at the end of the summer. Then...nothing. All day I waited for a response, and never got one. She finally texted me later saying she did not want to leave her old roommate alone and she would let me know. As I wait in suspense she took her time getting back to me. She thought it would be fun but needed to make sure her old roommate had someone to live with before she left. Finally she decided she we moved and we threw all her stuff out her back door and hauled it up to my apartment and a wonderful little place we called home for the next 8 months.
Our first bonding moment I think sealed the deal in our friendship. We were at a ward activity at our bishops house playing games on the trampoline. She was wearing a pair of camo shorts and was rolling around. She rolled and I noticed that one color didn't quite match the rest of the camo. I very quickly had he sit down and she realized the little rip sound she had heard earlier were actually her pants that had ripped and had since ripped all the way down. Luckily the bishops daughter was visiting and had an extra pair of pants to loan her. A true friend is there when your pants rip and then continues to laugh with you months after the event.
Since that time we have had so many fun times together. Happy times and sad times, we faced them together. There are times with this girl that will always hold a dear place in my heart.
One of my very favorite things about this winter was all the nights she and I would sit on the couch in our bathrobes her drinking hot cocoa and me drinking hot cider, chatting on Facebook to each other while having a conversation. We did this a lot in between Thanksgiving and Christmas!
So she has an Native American flute that she like to play before she goes to bed. Let me tell you, if you want to fall asleep fast have one of those in the background and you'll be out like a light! One night she was showing our friend her flute and he decided it sounded like he should start to narrate. During the narration and flute playing I felt it an appropriate time to use my interpretive dance skills. The only thing was I was sitting in a banana chair which somewhat limited the true ability of my skills. Apparently my "falling leaf" was pretty funny in a chair and she couldn't play while watching me without laughing. Once we got past that minor quirk we decided we had a pretty good show between the three of us and that we should take our show on the road. So look for us coming soon! (:
We spent so much time together we started doing many of the same things. We would have the same thoughts and responses. We would even run into the same walls. Possibly the running into things was more of just me. I'd run in to the door way, I'd fall into the bathtub, off my bed or other various thing. She would always be there and sometimes laugh or just not comment which made the situation even funnier.
So many times I would be sitting in class and get a text and it was something hilarious! Above all I think the best thing is when you have a friend that sends you a quick text just telling you they hope you have a wonderful day. I am grateful for the time I have had to get to know this girl. She is a great example and I am so excited for her to serve a mission in Sweden. Thanks for everything girl! I sure like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment