I have wanted to write for a long time about my summer working at Children's National Medical Center but I feel like words could not do it justice.
Children's National Medical Center, the place I spend most of my days and I love every single minute I am there. I am not sure someone could love their job more than I do. I love my job but I love the patients even more. I have always loved cancer kids and every day I am with them they really inspire me to be better, to be stronger, and to love more. I have fallen love with them and will always remember them. Each one of them has changed my life. They truly have inspired me to live my life as if each day were my last because every day very well could be their last. They are fighters. Some do not fully understand what is happening to them and others know full well what is going on. Some have been through it before and some are venturing through this journey for the first time. Each story starts out in a similar way but every child has a story of their own.
May 11th, my first day at Children’s National Medical Center, I was so excited I could barely sleep the night before. I set out my clothes the night before and was up earlier than the sun to leave an hour earlier than necessary to arrive at work on time. The day before I had done a practice run and the metro so I would know when to get off and exactly how long it would take to get there. I was ready. I showed up at the hospital and ready to go. I was early so I grabbed a juice and checked the mirror to make sure I looked just right for my first day of work. I walked up to the front desk and asked for my supervisor. She looked at me with a blank stare and told me to ask the office down the hall. When the lady down the hall did not know whom I was talking about she took pity on me and made sure all of my information was correct. It was then I found out I was at the wrong hospital and Children’s was across the parking lot. It is easy to get confused on which hospital you are supposed to be at when there are five different hospitals in the same area. I finally made it to my correct place in the correct hospital right on time, at that moment I sure was glad I left early!
It is hard to talk about a lot of what I did because of confidentiality but I'll do my best. I worked with children ranging from 6 months to 17 years. They have all types of cancer and blood disorders. Some of my days consisted of blowing bubbles, playing cards or video games, playing peek-a-boo for hours, or movie afternoons. Some of the patients just needed company and it was always fun to be with them but there we some who were in desperate need of someone to talk to or to care about them. I have ample love and a little education to give and was ready to take on anything. Highs came when I made a terrified patient smile and feel comfortable in this new strange place, when I cried with a patient and we talked about the frustrations of their cancer relapsing and then we talked , held someone for hours who just faced death and was alone and scared, becoming one of the few people they could depend on in their lives, gave opportunities to talk about death and how to accept and live with it, when I became a dragon in the hallway to bring a much needed smile and laugh to a patient, and trying my hardest to win a video game but never succeeding. There also were also times that made me think deeply about life like when my first patient died. Spending that Friday night in the PICU with family and almost constant ups and downs and finally passing away or a baby with down syndrome as well as cancer. What an incredible spirit that baby had. I was so grateful for the time I was able to spend with them and feel of their spirit and know how special they were to come to this earth and be here only the receive a body and return much sooner than most of us.
Each and every one of my patients were so special to me and I almost feel selfish for how much they benefited me and how much I grew from knowing them. They are inspiring and wonderful. Those patients whose lives were abridged and I am so thankful I was able to be a part of their lives and feel of their special spirits. I know Heavenly Father wanted them home sooner and their mission in this life was over.
I will always remember them and the wonderful people I worked with. The friends I made there gave me confidence and hope. They inspired me even more to work harder to be the best I can to help the children I work with in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment