
I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! Over Christmas break I was praying a lot about what I should do over the summer. I had some ideas but none of them felt quite right. One morning I woke up and decided that I needed to move to Washington D.C.. I wasn't exactly sure how my parents would take it so I went and told them and they were fully supportive of me. Yes, there were a little nerves letting their little girl move all the way across the country but they know it will be a great experience and an opportunity that I may never have again.
Once I made it past the decision to move I needed to find a job to support me while I am out there. As I looked at housing the first thing I realized was it cost a lot more to live in D.C. than it does to live in Provo or Oregon! But the up side the jobs pay more out there so it equaled out. I applied for several government student jobs, including one at the library of congress. However, since I do not have a degree in library science I did not get that job. But I do have a dear friend who has taken a special interest in me who has some connections in Washington D.C. Through a line a people he got in contact with the director of the Children's National hospital out there who has a pediatric cancer unit. They offered me an internship, a place to live, and everything else I need to go out there. I am so grateful! I never imagined getting an internship that is so perfectly fitted to me. It is all I have ever wanted to do and more!
My main responsibility will be the be the ambassador for the summer for their
Some of the other responsibilities I will have bead program. This is a way for children to tell their story. Each patient will make a necklace with their name and throughout their journey they will receive different beads with different meanings. For example for surgery they receive a gray bead, a stem cell harvest is a dark green bead, and my favorite, radiation is a red glow in the dark bead. I love it! I am so excited for this opportunity to learn and to help them tell their story.
I have various other responsibilities that include helping families and patients during their stay with routine things. They also have a teen room where patients can hang out and need someone there to supervise to be able to have it open more often.
Having a wide variety of tasks will give me the opportunity to gain experience in all different age groups. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. I've been smiling since I found out. I could not have dreamed of a better opportunity. I know the Lord makes a way for things to happen if you are willing to follow the promptings. I can't wait to be out there and explore a whole new world! I will definitely not need my skills of gathering eggs and changing sprinkler pipe this summer because I'm moving to the big city!!
I am so excited for you! You are seriously going to love it there. I was in DC on monday and tuesday and I just love it there. I love that you are brave enough to come over here alone. Im so sad that Im not going to be around this summer... :( I only would have been 3 hours away and now I am most likely going to be back home this summer...boo. haha. Im so glad that you are doing this though- you are going to have so much fun!
ReplyDelete