Monday, August 16, 2010

What I do Have

Living in Provo, Utah is an experience. It's a great experience but it does have its downfalls. It's hard not to get stuck in the bubble. Where everyone is young and getting married going to school and nothing has yet to jade us. However, for those of us who are single as well the pressure is on! It's a race to the alter! But there is a journey before that that sometimes gets us down. When you go to school at BYU most of us were at the top of our class, school was easy for us, we were loved, we were talented, had so much potential and were looked up to. We were going places. And we're here! This is a great place! It's a place that is filled with wonderful people that can help us grow and be better for the rest of our lives. But sometimes we get lost in comparing ourselves to others. I am guilty of it. I look at others who get better grades, who are better looking, who are farther along in school than I am, who have beautiful talents that I do not have, or those who just seem to have it all together all the time. I look at them and wish that I could just fill my cup a little more with some great blessing that they have. Those times when I get down on myself for little reasons like this I always come back to a quote that keeps me afloat is, "My relationship with my Heavenly Father does not depend on my sister." The Lord loves me for who I am and as long as I am doing my best that is all the Lord asks of me. As I think of the things that I do have I can not even imagine with the Lord blessing me more than I already have. So as I titled this post I want to write down what I do have. The things in my life that make me who I am and give me the opportunity to go and become a greater servant and instrument for the Lord.
I have an amazing family that loves me and would drop anything in the world if I needed them. They even miss me when I'm gone. They have shaped who I have become and let me grow as an individual. They have ingrained in me the desire to serve others.
I have the Center for Service and Learning. This is so broad. It gives me the opportunity to serve others at this time in my life.
I have the service council. I love the other members of the service council! Each one of them inspires me in a different way. They are all great people that have such a capacity to love and a great desire to serve not only the people around them but their Savior.
I have a healthy body. Though there have been minor rough patches I have been blessed with a strong healthy body that gives me the opportunity to feel good and carry out the thing the Lord would have me do and almost any capacity.
I have a job. At this time and in this economy I truly am grateful for a job. I love working at the country club an getting to know people. Though I have not taken advantage of the free golf Mondays I have learned a thing or two while spending countless hours watching people, and some attempting to, play golf.
I have be blessed with the opportunity to go to school, to a great school. And to top off going to a great school I have been blessed with someone who saw potential in me and decided to invest in me an education. Everyday I am thankful for the scholarship that I have received that has changed my life, in reality, forever.
I have great friends. Some are close and some are very far away. Some are in a very different part of their lives than I am but I learn so much from them and they help me to better prepare for that time in my life. I have friends that I see everyday that always keep a smile on my face. From laughs in the wee hours of the morning to heart to heart talks about our greatest dreams and goals and things we struggle with and how to become better.
I have incredible roommates that somewhere along the way we stopped being just roommates and truly became sisters. We have been a rock for each other. Through the hard times and through the the beautiful ones. We have always stood together and in the Lord. I love that we make our apartment a place where the Spirit can reside. A place that is truly filled with love and happiness. I will always love these girls and am grateful for the way we can become who we want to be someday, today. That we build each other up and are there when we fall. I can't imagine life without these girls who really are my sisters.
I have direction in my life. I know where I am going, I know what I want to do with my life, and I have a plan to get there. I want to work with cancer kids and I am well on my way. I love cancer camp. I have an opportunity every summer to let those kids change my life, and they do every time. I am so happy and can not wait to be with these kids every day instead of just a week in the summer.
I have so much LOVE to give! I ready and willing to love anyone who comes into my life. I have such a belief in the power that love has in a person's life. The power and confidence one has when they know they are loved and of the Lord's love for them. The Lord and given me a great gift that allows me to love at such a great capacity. I truly and genuinely love everyone around me.
I have the gospel in my life and a testimony of it. I cannot be more grateful than anything else in my life than my testimony and the blessing the gospel is in my life. I would have nothing without it. Finally, I have the Lord on my side. I am so happy living a life that He finds worthy to enter His temple. I have a temple so close to me and I love the peace I can find there.
There are so many more things that I do have that I can't even imagine being even more blessed in my life. Like is says in 3 Nephi The Lord of Hosts opens the windows of heaven and pour you out blessings that there shall not be room enough to receive it. My life is truly BLESSED and I am grateful for what I do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment